When It Matters Most
William (“Bill”) H. Elam
- Senior Partner
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- North Carolina, 1972
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected To Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2007, 2014 - 2021
- In the Area of Criminal Procedure, American Jurisprudence Award, Lawyers Co-Operative Publishing Company, 1970
Founder and Senior Partner
William (Bill) Elam is the founder and Senior Partner of Elam & Rousseaux, PLLC. Bill majored in Business at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina, and graduated in 1967. He then attended the University of South Carolina School of Law in Columbia, South Carolina where he was awarded a scholarship and graduated with Honors in 1972. While at South Carolina, Bill was selected to be on the editorial board of the Law Review and published an article for that organization.
Bill is licensed in all Federal District Courts in North Carolina and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals (Federal Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia) as well as admitted to practice in the U.S. Supreme Court (which is a very unusual circumstance for many trial lawyers).
Achievements in the Legal Field
He has the rare privilege of being recognized as nationally Board Certified in both “Civil Trial Advocacy” and also in “Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy.” To obtain these certifications, Bill underwent a thorough screening of his trial experience, his professional references, and a rigorous written examination. Bill also has been granted an “AV” rating by Martindale-Hubbell (which is one of the most recognized and reliable screening group for lawyers), which indicates a very high to preeminent legal ability and very high ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
Bill is a member of the American Association for Justice, the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers and has been a guest speaker at a number of seminars for attorneys in the medical area. In 2006, Bill was selected as a “Top Super Lawyer” in North Carolina by his peers for his accomplishments in the medical malpractice arena. This recognition is limited to the top 5% of attorneys who practice in the state. Bill was again selected and received this recognition in 2007, and continues to be recognized from 2014 - 2021.
A History of Success
Bill has practiced law for over forty (40) years and has been involved in over 100 jury trials. He started his career handling different types of matters, including criminal and civil trials. Early in his career, he represented physicians in malpractice matters, and that extended to nurses, chiropractors and other health care providers.
Fighting for the Rights of the Injured
Approximately 1985, Bill felt he had an intense desire to “switch sides” and decided he had a much better sense of destiny being on the side of patients who had been harmed or injured by the health care profession. In doing so, he also was able to totally switch his method of compensation. He now has imposed a method of compensation, which has drifted down to all members of the firm, which only allows payment if the firm is successful!
Not only that, but the firm, in almost every case, advances the funds to pay the expenses of litigation. So now the clients which the firm represents has no out of pocket costs, and only pays the firm if their matter is concluded with a successful end result. The only downside of this process is that the firm is very selective in cases in which they will proceed.
Contact Elam & Rousseaux, PLLC today to arrange for a free consultation with a Charlotte injury attorney.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- J.D. – 1972
- Honors: With Honors
- Law Review: University of South Carolina Law Review
- East Carolina University, Greenville, North California
- A.B. – 1967
- Major: Business
Fraternities or Sororities
- Theta Chi
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2000
- Civil Trial Pre-Trial Practice, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2000
- American Association for Justice, Member
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
Classes & Seminars
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Litigation
- Jury Selection in Medical Malpractice Cases
- Use of Expert Witnesses
- Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar Association, 2011
- Chair, Professional Negligence Section of North Carolina Advocates for Justice 1998-2001
- William H. Elam, P.A., President
- Wishart, Norris, Henninger & Pittman, Partner
- Elam, Seaford, McGinnis & Stroud, Partner
- Review of Domestic Law, USC Law Review, 1971